The Andharban trek is one of the most exciting treks in Maharashtra. The trek trail begins from the Tamhini village and crawls uphill, all the way to the highest point of the Andharban peak. The trail is exciting and offers a range of different experiences. It trails through a village at the start and goes pass an evergreen forest and through a ridge. On this relatively short trek, there is just a bit of flat walking to do, making it an exciting experience.
From the peak, gaze at the famous Kundalika Valley and Bhira Dam from afar and enjoy cool wind blowing in the air. The guided trek is a short, one-day excursion that involves trekking through shady trees for most parts and for the rest of the time over vast open lands. The trek is led by an experienced team of trekkers who plan the best route to trek through at Andharban.
Andharban Trek - An Overview:
Location: Mulshi Taluka
Difficulty Level: Moderate
Distance from Mumbai: 129 kilometres
Famous for: Jungle treks, spectacular views of the Sahyadris
Trip Duration: One day, one night
Trek Distance & Duration: 13 kilometres, approximately 6 hours to complete the trek. Timings and distances may differ due to multiple route options.
Altitude: 640 metres
Difficulty Level of Andharban Trek:
As the trek involves a lot of decent climbs, it can be challenging for those not used to hiking. A few patches of land along the trail can be a bit difficult to walk through owing to their steepness.
How to Reach Andharban:
1. Hire a private taxi and get down at the Andharban Trail start point. The destination is 129 kilometres from Mumbai.
2. Reach Lonavala and take an ST bus to Bhamburde. From the Bhamburde station take a taxi to the Andharban Trail start point.
Andharban Weather Conditions:
1. It gets cold in winter, that is from October to March.
2. Summers (March to May) are warm but enjoyable.
3. The monsoon from June to August brings a lot of rain. The weather is cool during this season.
The Andharban Trek Route:
1. Trekkers prefer to start the Andharban Trek from the Tamhini Ghat. Trekking to Andharban from Tamhini Village is the best option as the trek trails through beautiful jungles.
2. The Tamhini Village route is moderately challenging and it takes around 9 hours to complete the trek.
3. The Andharban Trail start point is located close to the Pimpri Dam.
4. The Tamhini Ghat trek routes passes through the Hirdi village, it is a great spot for a break.
Best Time for Andharban Trek:
For the best trekking experience in Andharban, visit during the monsoon. The waterfalls are flowing with full capacity and the weather is cooler than in summer. In the rainy season, the Andharban trek is a thrilling challenge.
One-day Trek Itinerary for Andharban Trek:
1. Depart Mumbai at 12 am.
2. Pick up passengers at three designated stops.
3. Reach Tamhini Ghat at 3 am and rest for three hours in the bus.
4. Go for breakfast and freshen up.
5. Start the trek at 7.30 am.
6. Lunch Break on Hirdi plateau at 11.30 pm.
7. Start trekking towards Bhira Dam at 12.30 pm.
8. Reach Bhira Dam at 2.30 pm.
9. Depart for Mumbai at 3.30 pm.
Things to carry:
1. Energy bars or dry fruits (in case you feel weak while trekking)
2. A good rucksack
3. Strong and comfortable pair of trekking shoes
4. Camera and binoculars (optional)
5. Sunscreen and moisturizer
Inclusions & Exclusions:
The package includes the following:
1. Transport from Mumbai to Tamhini Ghat and back
2. Trek guide fees
3. Breakfast in Tamhini
This package does not include:
1. Self sponsored lunch
3. Any other item not mentioned in the inclusions
Disclaimer: The information about the trek here is general. We request the trekkers refer to the details on the specific Event / Trek Booking page for specific detail.
Andharban Trek - Map Location:
Andharban is located in the Sahyadri range, close to Tamhini Ghat in the Pimpri Village of Maharashtra. Tamhini Ghat is located 138 kilometres from Mumbai.
3 Things to do on Andharban Trek:
Photography: The beautiful landscape, thrilling waterfalls and the fantastic scenery around the trail is the perfect opportunity for photography. Don’t forget to take group photos and selfies with your buddies.
Swim at the waterfall: On the trekking route to Andharban there are many waterfalls that are safe to swim in. The best time to visit these waterfalls is during the monsoon. The waterfalls are at their peak and swimming in them is a fantastic experience.
Sightseeing: While trekking to Andharban catch beautiful sights of Sahyadri Mountains from afar, there’s also forests and villages to explore.
1. Follow all the instruction and guideline carefully .
2. Carry any personal medication as there may not be access to medical shops nearby.
3. If trekking in the monsoon, use repellents to keep bugs away.