Karnala Bird Sanctuary is located near Panvel with an area of 12.11 km2. It is centred around historic karnala fort and home to about 150 species of bird including three rare birds i.e. Ashy Minivet, three-toed kingfisher and Malabar Trogon.
Trek to the karnala fort is an absolute beginners trek amidst the natural flora and fauna of the enclosed sanctuary. The relative ease of this trail also provides an excellent opportunity to introduce beginners to trekking and nature. After a final walk up to the bastion, one is presented with a splendid 360-degree view of the surrounding Raigad district. A 125 ft high basalt pillar sticks out like a thumb at the centre of the peak. It is clearly visible from far away on all the sides.
07:00 - Meet at Panvel Station and move to Karnala base in a local vehicle.
08:15 - Reach Karnala. Introduction and Breakfast
09:15 - Start trekking through the canopy of Karnala
12:00 - Reach Karnala fort and explore.
13:00 - Start descending
14:00 - Reach base and have lunch
16:00 - Reach Panvel and bid goodbye to your new friends
- Travel from Panvel to Karnala base and back
- Karnala entry charges
- Breakfast and refreshments
- Experienced Bhatakna Representatives
- Train tickets to Panvel
- Camera charges at Karnala
- Bottled water and beverages
Things to carry:
- atleast one litre water (preferably in personal reusable bottles)
- Good trekking shoes or sport shoes
- Bag cover, raincoat etc.
- A double strap bag. Sling bag not allowed in the trek
- We appreciate people carrying fruits like pears, pomegranate, dates etc.