True character is revealed in the choices a human being makes under pressure - the greater the pressure, the deeper the revelation, the truer the choice to the character's essential nature. - Robert McKee
In this workshop, we will delve further into the following areas of storytelling:
1. The Premise/ Platform: This is essentially the beginning of a story. How do we set up a beginning that creates the scope for a very alluring middle and end of the story is what we will immerse ourselves into further.
2. The Disruption: Every story requires something in it to happen that causes a disruption to the routine. What is the purpose of this disruption and where it arrives in the story is what we will further understand with this section.
3. The Promise: The promise refers to the obviousness or the next logical idea in the sequence of ideas that take the story forward. Along with this section, we will use Improv exercises to bring all the above three together in a perspective that is experienced rather than discussed.
4. The 'Hero': Essentially the protagonist of the story, this section will delve into how the 'hero' is set up to undergo a life-altering transformation which enables them to change.
5. Re-incorporation: Especially in Improv, everything created on stage is utilized. So with the help of improvisation, we will experience the magic of re-incorporation and callbacks that are immensely satisfying to see.
About the facilitator, Nasir Engineer:
Nasir is the Artistic Director of ICB. He has performed in over 100 Improv shows across India and formatted over 50 of them for ICB. He has trained beginner batches and corporates in Improv since 2013. He started Bangalore's first 8-week intensive program. He is also the festival director of India's first and only Improv festival - The Bengaluru Improv Festival. Nasir is also a storyteller, having written and performed over 7 of his true stories for Tall Tales Storytelling in Mumbai and Bangalore. Apart from this, he is an ultramarathon runner and a cat-dad.
ICB is a professional improvisational theater company operating from Bangalore. They have been operational since July 2015 and have performed in over 100+ shows across India including the very prestigious Second City Theatre in Chicago, US. They brought to India its first ever Improv festival - the Bengaluru Improv Festival in Nov 2018. They also brought to India it's first ever 12-hour Improvathon.
They are also home to India's first and only active all-women Improv ensemble - The Adamant Eves. They conduct their own Improv workshops guided by their in-house Improv trainers and produce their own public shows and jams on a monthly basis.
They offer Improv coaching to corporates, educators, children, and other performers as well. Their aim is to bring the beautiful potential of Improv to as many individuals in an increasingly tense world.